Our History - The Millers Flour Store

"This pristine environment and our connection to the land allows us to consistently make some of Tasmania’s finest Pinot Noir."

In 1821 brothers Adam (44) and John Amos (47) fled Galashiels in Scotland and settled here in Cranbrook on the East Coast of Tasmania. The pioneering family set out to build a better life for themselves bringing cattle, sheep, pigs, wheat, barley and even the seed for the oak tree in our front garden.

In 1822 Adam was appointed Chief District Constable and this further increased his work load. He was expected to arrest runaway convicts and sheep-stealers, to muster all the convict servants in the district weekly and to ensure the settlers confined their stock to their allotted land grant.

Meanwhile John, a clever artisan, was always in high demand as a talented wheel-wright and builder. The families worked tirelessly, surviving in this hot and harsh landscape, clearing the land and learning how to become self-sufficient. It soon became apparent that to endure these harsh conditions, grains would need to be cultivated for food supply. Growing wheat for flour became the main crop for trading locally and later supplying flour for the gold rush in the 1850’s.

Meet the Family

Bob, Naoimh (Neve), Pat (nee Amos), Adam, Grainne (Gronya), Eimear and Auley. We are the 5th, 6th and 7th generation of Amos descendants still living and working this original land grant. We are recognised as the second oldest family business in Tasmania.

Our Vineyards & Winemaking Our Vineyards & Winemaking

Our Vineyards & Winemaking

Inspiring Tasmania
Our Farm Our Farm

Our Farm

Meet the sheep